Just saw the fine news that Janae Pierre is headed to WNYC. We are grateful that we got to know her in the summer of 2019 when she visited the Lincoln for @WBHM. Congratulations and good luck, Janae. We will invite you back to Bessemer for opening night! ... See MoreSee Less
Acclaimed actor Andre Holland is best known for his role in the Oscar winning film Moonlight and playing Andrew Young in the movie Selma. Holland purchased the Lincoln Theatre in his hometown of Besse...
Big news for Bessemer and beyond: On December 9, 2021, the Lincoln was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage, following a vote of unanimous approval by the staff of the Alabama Historical Commission (AHC). The Alabama Register documents buildings, sites, structures, objects, districts, and cultural landscapes in Alabama that have historic integrity and significance. The AHC created the Register to recognize Alabama’s historic places and to encourage their continued preservation. We so proud and thrilled! ... See MoreSee Less
The earliest information about the Lincoln Theatre property comes from March 17, 1937, when Mildred Q. Terry paid Elia Felkel $5,500 to purchase Lots 4 and 5 on Block 222 in downtown Bessemer. In 1942, Terry sold the property to Sam Raine, an Italian theatre impresario who already owned the Frolic Theatre at 1918 First Avenue North along with numerous other Bessemer businesses. When Raine took possession, 1926 First Avenue North was home to a single-story commercial building with three storefronts. Listings from the Polk City Directory and photos from the Board of Equalization (BOE) files show that the building was home to the Loan & Money Credit Co., the Bouyer Café and Harlem Bakery, and the Twentieth Century Barber Shop. In 1947, Raine commissioned a design for a 750-seat theatre from acclaimed architect Charles McCauley, best known in Birmingham for City Hall, Temple Beth-El, the Avon Theater and other notable buildings. McCauley's final design yielded a steel-framed, air-conditioned venue that seated approximately 500 people. Some portion of the single-story commercial building on site was torn away in 1947 — McCauley's drawings indicate that the cinema was not an all-new build, but rather a major renovation of the existing building. His team increased the height of the building and constructed the balcony and lobby to make it into a theatre. The Lincoln opened in 1948, with a gleaming marquee and a facade of teal and white glazed tile. ... See MoreSee Less